Youth Waking Night Worker – Young Peoples Housing Service
The youth homelessness crisis is seeing new challenges. COVID19 has exacerbated some of the disadvantages faced by young people, with family tensions, loss of jobs & income and mental-ill health being key drivers for homelessness.
Homelessness can significantly impact a young persons transition to adulthood. The need for youth-specific semi-independent housing, which adapts a trauma informed way of working, is integral to overcoming barriers to independence.
Hightown Young Peoples Services believe that every young person has the right to a safe home and the support needed to help them become independent / lead positive fulfilling lives.
We are looking for enthusiastic and caring individuals to join our young peoples semi-independent service in Luton which provides semi-independent accommodation to young people aged 16-18. This is an exciting opportunity to join an enthusiastic team who are determined to help young people reach their potential and move towards independent lives.
We are keen to recruit individuals who care about supporting vulnerable young people to achieve their aspirations and goals, as well as understanding, promoting and embracing our values:
* Putting our residents and service users first
* Treating people with respect, promoting independence and choice
* Developing passionate and committed teams
* Being cost effective without compromising standards or safety
If you share our values and our passion for supporting young people, we would love you to work for us.
If youre someone who is able to recognise the wishes and needs of vulnerable young people, respond well in a crisis and work independently, we will give you all the training and support you need to do the role. We will help you develop your capabilities, provide you with exciting opportunities and work with you on your professional development throughout your role.
About the role
You will be:
* Empowering vulnerable young people to lead independent and fulfilling lives with the support of a network of staff, social workers and other professionals.
* Expected to use a positive approach to support the young people to develop independent living skills such as cooking, cleaning, budgeting and building their confidence so they can move on positively when they turn 18.
* Enabling them to access meaningful activity such as education, employment, training opportunities and volunteering.
* Supporting them with their physical and emotional wellbeing in order to help them thrive.
* Coaching them on their rights and responsibilities in key areas as well as connecting them with the community and other agencies.
Supporting young people can often be challenging but incredibly rewarding. Patience, compassion, resilience and creativity will be crucial in this role where you can make a difference to a vulnerable young persons life.
We provide a 24 hour service so you must be able to work shifts as part of a rota system which will include weekend and bank holiday working.
In return for your hard work and commitment, we offer a benefits package which includes:
* Generous annual leave allowance of 33 days per year, including statutory bank holidays, rising to 35 days with service
* £20,811pa for a 36.25hour a week contract
* Regular support from your line manager and colleagues
* Annual bonus based on satisfactory performance
* Monthly attendance bonus on top of your basic salary
* Annual salary and cost of living review
* Commitment to health and wellbeing with the Five Ways to Wellbeing
* Ongoing professional development and support to deliver outstanding support
* Workplace pension scheme and life assurance of three times your annual salary
* Refer-a-friend scheme: Earn a £130 bonus for each friend you refer to work for us
* Access to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for use at work
* Access to COVID-19 vaccinations
* Friendly and supportive team environment
* Employee assistance helpline
* Mileage paid for car usage
Hightown provides supported housing to people with a wide range of needs across Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire.
Our Luton Young Peoples Housing service provides supported housing to a variety of young people who have had very different experiences. This includes those who are homeless, those leaving care, those who are estranged from family and also young people who have difficulties sustaining education, training or employment.
We enable people to be more independent through support and housing that suits their needs and is accessible.
Closing Date: Wednesday 5th January 2022
Interview Date: TBC
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.
During the pandemic we are following Government guidance regarding reducing transmission rates.
This means we are taking every precaution to keep you and everyone involved safe during the recruitment process. It also means that if legislative or other requirements change in the future, we may need to make vaccination mandatory for staff joining us. These matters can be discussed at interview